Wednesday, June 21, 2017

mail

I happened across your Meilicke page.  Sam Meilicke was my Granddad.  There is no blood relation but he adopted my mother, Edna Barton Meilicke.  We lived in Baring, Mo., just down the road from them.  I saw them nearly everyday and also went by his feed store after school on a daily basis when school was in session.  I have some of the Meilicke information that my Mother had but I don’t know of any family left around here now.  I have lived in several places but now am retired (sort of) back in Baring.  I live less than a mile as the crow flies from where I grew up.
 
Just wanted to say hello and if you know any information I would be glad to hear it.  I have enjoyed the pictures on your site.  I used to write to Uncle Gus and Uncle Jewel when I was a child.  I knew about them homesteading but I had never seen pictures until I saw yours.  I’m so glad to see them.
 
Response
 
Hi Pamy;

It is great to hear from you once more. I had to go to my notes of Oct 2013 recall the communications content. I am not much on keeping up with the relatives.

I recall going to Gus's place and being handed one of your letters and being asked if I would like to write back. I was not a writer of letters. I recall it being on lined paper. That must have been in the early 1960's.

There are a few scattered second cousins and more distant around the US. Some have gone back to the original Meilike spelling. That seems to have been changed during WWI. But I never met many of them, and do not keep up.

I did meet Jules's (my grand father) brother, Sam in the summer of 66 or 67 perhaps when he was up here. Something to do with the settling of Gus's estate, and some land held in trust from the Gustav Estate (from about 1919 or 1922, perhaps to avoid taxes.) The land had increased in value over the nearly forty five years in trust. But what do I know, I was only a teenager then.

I recall Sam asking if there was one of Adolph's (Ed) corn savers was around the farm, but I had never seen one at that time. Why I remember that is beyond me. I also recall that Sam was much smaller physically than Gus and Grandpa Jules.

I have a lovely family tree, typed up in about 1965 and added to many times, but what to do with it. It is unsafe to put live people on the net, so it will just sit I guess. Over the years, through comments, I have heard of numerous distant cousins, but few responded beyond that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE ADD YOUR MEMORY'S OF THESE EVENTS. Memories are important, and history is told by the survivors, with their biases.