Friday, September 14, 2012

Spring 1961

 Spring of 1961, Easter Monday, or so the note on the back says. But something seems off. This picture was in a bunch that were sent back by Judy and Reuel (Jr) Schnelle as part of the clean up of Reuel seniors things. 

I actually remember being present at this time. But something is not making scene, as this is spring, the snow is gone, and it is cold. Dolly, the horse does not look pleased. Mother is holding the horse, after loading my four cousins on her. Anne, it must be Shauna?, Norma or is it Doris?, and Barbara?, I do not know. 

Fathers 1948 Ford truck is at the horses rear. It was replaced with a 1963. Close inspection of the old farm yard shows the barn with a corrugated steel roof, 4 ft long sheets, held down with 1/4 inch bolts driven through 1 inch spruce shiplap, but why do I remember those details.   

Out house, rabbit hutch tured bicycle shed, chickencoop, wood shed. The house would be off to mother right. 

Old dolly was a sweet old horse, broken to saddle and harness. Father bought here from one of the Davies, perhaps 6 mile east, and a couple north. I remember going with father to get a horse. It was a rural shopping trip. Got any horses for sale, nope, but my brother has, just go east a mile and north. It must have been late summer, for Mr. Davis was working on his Massey Harris No 10 Combine. I remember the trip home. Me sitting in the back of the truck, holding the end of the horse lead as father drove, and the horse cantered along. I also remember stopping at Boyd Wardlows to give the horse a drink.  

1 comment:

  1. From Tammie via email

    I don't know how computers work so I couldn't post a comment.
    I will have to take the time to get an account before I can post.
    Anyways.
    The picture with the kids on the horse, 'Dolly' in the spring of 1961 cannot have me, Tammie on it because I was not born yet.
    And Norma was not born until 1960 so she would not be sitting on a horse either.
    I cannot help you in any other way.
    I will look around for some old pictures, though.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE ADD YOUR MEMORY'S OF THESE EVENTS. Memories are important, and history is told by the survivors, with their biases.